16 June, 2024

Song Solstice - Summer 2024 - Day 16 - Scheer


Day 16 - Scheer




Feature track 16 in Song Solstice, Summer 2024, is by the band Scheer. Who, you ask? Well, that's what this list is about: sharing songs (and artists) that you may not know so you can enjoy them. Read more to explore them and the track I selected for your listening pleasure.
~*~

Over the years, I've discovered a whole lot of bands and artists through various compilations I've collected, and Scheer is one of these bands. Today's feature song was first discovered via the 90s compilation, Alternative Summer, featured amongst many cool artists and tracks. It's one of my favorite discoveries from these times, which is why today's track is “Wish You Were Dead”.


Single Cover

This and Splashdown's “Ironspy” (which I may feature at some point) are a couple of the great things about these random compilation CDs from magazines and label promotionals. Both grabbed me in a unique way, and “Wish You Were Dead” got me good with their heavy guitars and almost breathy vocals. It's one of those tracks that I found myself replaying over and over, using it in mixtapes and playing for people. Dark or not, I absolutely love this song still after all these years.

The opening guitars feel like a sound flying past you one way and then the other way back, joining with the rest of the instruments right in front of you, coalescing into a strong sonic front. The guitars are meaty but seem even heavier with Audrey Gallagher's angelic vocal quality, her voice wonderfully laced with seething anger and contempt. It's such an interesting contrast that works so well for me, with the rhythm section being the perfectly tight base for these elements to land on. So tight and stellar. *chef's kiss*



Whatever your music preference may be, I really hope you give this track a listen. It really is a great track, and its parent album, Infliction, is worth the listen as well. Even if this is the one song you hear, though, I hope you put on some good headphones and let Scheer's wall of sound engulf you. It's soooo worth it.




 Album Version (Click to watch on YouTube. 😭)




Single Version (Minus Album Version Opening)





Lyrics


I don′t want to, go on like this

And I don't need to, keep thinking like this

Turned things over in my head

Things I′ve done and things I've said

Better off this way you said

But it's not easy to pretend


When all I have is you

Inside my head

You′re in my head

And it would be much easier if you were dead

I wish you were dead

I wish you were


I know things that even you don′t know

And I've seen feelings that you rarely show

Poured your heart into your sleeve

Now you′re asking me to leave

But how, how, how can I


When all I have is you

Inside my head

You're in my head

And it would be much easier if you were dead

I wish you were dead

I wish you were


When all I have is you

Inside my head

You′re in my head

And it would be much easier if you were dead

I wish you were dead

I wish you were


I'll forget that I ever let you in

And I′ll pretend that this isn't happening

Tried so hard to keep you out but

Nothing seems to make in any easier


When all I have is you

Inside my head

You're in my head

And it would be much easier if you were dead

I wish you were dead

I wish you were


~*~



4AD | Wikipedia | Discogs






Disclaimer: All photo, music, lyrics, video, and artwork copyrights belong to their respective owners.
Photos, videos, and lyrics used for reference and informational purposes.

I'm not being paid by them to write this. I'm not a journalist or anything. I just love music.






(Posted on 12th September 2024, Backdated to 16th June 2024)