04 June, 2024

Song Solstice - Summer 2024 - Day 04 - Angelfish




Day 04 - Angelfish





Today's Song Solstice track goes back to the lovely and badass Shirley Manson's pre-Garbage days in the Goodbye Mr. Mackenzie offshoot, Angelfish. It's a track that I wish more people beyond the fans knew, and so I shall bring it forth here to you. Click 'read more' to experience this fab track!


As I hinted in the pre-write up blurb, I adore Shirley Manson. She's one of the musicians that I am so grateful that they share what they do on social media because it breaks down barriers, showing them as the people they are, less as untouchable, unrelatable super beings. Her openness about her past and life in general makes a big, positive difference for so many, and, along with her musical contributions throughout the years, brings so many folks together. She inspires me both musically and as a person, and I hope to be able to thank her in person one day.


Isn't this a gorgeous photo of early 90s Shirley? <3

Aaaaanywaaayyy....


I remember first seeing the video for Garbage's first ever single, “Queer”, on MTV's 120 Minutes (I will likely mention that show many times in my writings, just an FYI). It triggered the memory of Shirley in a video for a song by another band, Angelfish, called “Suffocate Me”, the video of which found Shirley being offered the Garbage gig she ultimately took. Of course, I needed both albums, but I never managed to snag Angelfish. Maaany years late, I was sassy and found it for free online and it was then when I first heard today's feature track, “The Sun Won't Shine”.




 Unless you had the album or sought it out in some way in pre-streaming service days, you likely wouldn't have have heard this song. Upon finding the album online and downloading it, this song quickly overtook “Suffocate Me” and became my absolute favorite off of the album. Those vocals, that music, those lyrics... To me, this song feels even more haunting than that first single despite being a little more open musically, and I imagine it worked well live. It honestly would have made a great single in my eyes, and I am both sad and glad it didn't. Sad because it might have lifted the band up farther and it might have taken the Mackenzie's farther under the Angelfish moniker. And glad because it may have kept Shirley from joining Garbage and giving us all the fantastic music we've been spoiled with over the years.

As I worked on this writing, the chorus line, 'change or the sun won't shine' suddenly stood out to me: 'change or the sun won't shine'. For those that know me or have read some of my past writings know that I have been dealing with a lot within, and that I am very much about personal growth and progression even when I'm locked in a fog. This line, outside of the context of the song, spoke to that side of me. Change or the sun won't come and bring light for growth. I've been working on this, so it's pretty cool that this line stood out the way it did.


Angelfish one-off reunion gig in Glasgow, Scotland on 9th December 2015
(YouTube screen grab by me.)


Whatever the song is or what it could be for you, “The Sun Won't Shine” really is a stellar track that deserves an engaged listen. I have a secret wish for Garbage to release a version of it or, at the very least, perform it live and have it recorded visually and audibly. It deserves to have a greater due, and hopefully this little blurb will help that to happen. 


(In case you were wondering: I did finally get the disc eventually. I even hugged it. Lol)


Change or the sun won't shine...”







LYRICS

You were mine
Pretty flowers in the gardens of town
Change or the sun won't shine
Change or the rain comes down
You were mine
But now it's the end of the in-between
Gone are the days
When the ammunition was clean

Change or the sun won't shine
Outside
Stories of misdemeanours grow
Seeing the blade in the rays
Running for cover they go to late
How they come and how they fall
Baby cradle and all
Baby cradle and all

Close the door
Though it seems like we only kissed hello
It looks like it's time to go
It looks like it's time to go
In the light
Somehow the craziness dissolves

Change or the sun won't shine
Change or we end it all
Change or the sun won't shine
Change or the sun won't
Change or the sun won't shine
Change or the sun won't

Change or the sun won't shine
Change or the sun won't
Change or the sun won't shine
Change or the sun won't
Change or the sun won't shine
Change or the sun won't


~~~

Wikipedia | Discogs

Spotify | Tidal | Apple Music



Disclaimer: All photo, music, lyrics, video, and artwork copyrights belong to their respective owners.
Photos, videos, and lyrics used for reference and informational purposes.

I'm not being paid by them to write this. I'm not a journalist or anything. I just love music.




(Posted on 25th June 2024, backdated to 4th June 2024)