14 June, 2024

Song Solstice - Summer 2024 - Day 14 - Natalie Imbruglia



Day 14 - Natalie Imbruglia


Credit - Matthew Rolston || Crop by aquadonia


Day 14 of Song Solstice, Summer 2024, is a track by an interesting artist that's best known in the US for a cover song: Australian-British singer-songwriter and actress, Natalie Imbruglia. Come explore it with me!
~*~

As hinted at in the teaser blurb, I got to know of Natalie Imbruglia like most folks in the US at the time did: from her fantastic cover of the Ednaswap song, “Torn”. Some time after, I saw on a video music channel the video for Left Of The Middle's 4th single, and I fell for the feel, the emotion, the piano...that vocal. It was unforgettable for me and I had to have it. That song was “Smoke”.





I attempted some digging to see if there were any articles of Natalie talking about the song and the meaning, but I couldn't really find any, which is a bummer because I'd like to understand more about it from her own perspective. So... As I think about it and consider what the lyrics are, it feels to be about the aftermath of divorce, a lost mother with substance abuse, child abuse, and self harm as told by the child/teen. Perhaps within a memory that feels like it's still happening, with all the feelings of lost innocence, abandonment, the suppression of emotions and the inability to leave the experiences behind being present. As for the literal pieces, it seems to me that the smoke references the chain-smoking of the mother, while 'bleeding is breathing' and 'bleeding is believing' seems to be the indication of self-harm. Or possibly the idea of feeling the feelings to let them go. Whatever intention and layers in the meaning, it’s clear that, from the lyrical content alone, this song is an incredibly powerful piece of art.


This all explains so much to me about why it hits me so hard when I listen, being the empathetic and emotional person I am; this song, if I don't center myself and somewhat detach from the depth, it will make me cry. The emotion in the vocal and the way the guitars and backing effects mirror the climactic vocal in the final chorus especially have the ability to pull the tears down my face even if they weren't fighting to come out. Natalie's conviction along with her vocal quality and tone simultaneously float over and cut through everything, the voice longing and begging to be heard, and it's gorgeous. Heartbreaking. And, honestly? Stunning.





This song is a wonderful representation of the fragile yet courageous beauty of vulnerability and the sharing of stories. It is also a testament as to how incredibly important the human aspect of music really is. Artificial Intelligence could never begin to tap into the depth of the human spirit nor offer the catharsis and healing that music can bring. Catharsis and healing that we all need and deserve. It's honest human connection through song, after all, and I hope you take the time to let the spirit of “Smoke” surround you.










Lyrics


My lullaby, hung out to dry

What's up with that

It's over


Where are you dad

Mum's lookin' sad

What's up with that

It's dark in here


Why, bleeding is breathing

You're hiding underneath the smoke in the room

Try, bleeding is believing

I used to...


My mouth is dry

Forgot how to cry

What's up with that

You're hurting me


I'm running fast

Can't hide the past

What's up with that

You're pushing me


Why, bleeding is breathing

You're hiding underneath the smoke in the room

Try, bleeding is believing

I used to.

I used to...


Why, bleeding is breathing

You're hiding underneath the smoke in the room

Try, bleeding is breathing

I saw you crawling on the floor

Why, bleeding is breathing

You're hiding underneath the smoke in the room

Try, bleeding is breathing

I saw you crawling to the door

Why, bleeding is breathing

You're hiding underneath the smoke in the room

Try , bleeding is breathing

I saw you falling on the floor



~*~





Disclaimer: All photo, music, lyrics, video, and artwork copyrights belong to their respective owners.
Photos, videos, and lyrics used for reference and informational purposes.

I'm not being paid by them to write this. I'm not a journalist or anything. I just love music.









(Posted on 17th August 2024, Backdated to 14th June 2024)