07 June, 2024

Song Solstice - Summer 2024 - Day 07 - Beth Orton

 
Day 07 - Beth Orton








Hey, folks! It's the 7th of June, which means we are on day seven of the maiden voyage of the Song Solstice series! Today's track is a feature by English indie artist Beth Orton. I do hope you read more and join me in exploring one of her great tracks.



Back in the mid 90s, I remember the debut video by Beth Orton for a song called “She Cries Your Name” (on '120 Minutes', of course). It was haunting and I was quite intrigued, earmarking it in my head for the future. Toward the end of the 90s, I was getting a publication called CMJ New Music Monthly which focused primarily on indie and smaller artists with the occasional well known act, including a sampler CD with each issue. It was on one of these samplers where I first heard today's featured Beth track, “Stolen Car”.




Upon listening, I was transported back to that first listen on MTV, reminded of her understated and calm yet haunting voice. “Stolen Car” is a great folkier-edged indie pop track (in my head, anyway), perfect for a road trip music mix. All I have to do is close my eyes and I'm in a sedan going down a highway, trees and landscapes going by as this song fills the cabin. The guitar, the bass, the drums, her voice... I can just sit inside and allow this track to surround me, taking me down the roads of her words and thoughts. I absolutely love it.


At The Bowery Ballroom, New York, NY USA - 5th November 2022 || Credit: Toby Tenenbaum


The imagery and feel in the lyrics are quite outstanding, with lines like 'Don't you wish you knew better by now when you're old enough not to?', evoking a need to dive deeper in what's being said. Beth is a wonderfully gifted songwriter and lyricist, which shows so well in this track. The entire album, Central Reservation, is well worth the listen, with “Stolen Car” being a big stand out for me. I really wish radio wasn't so... ugh these days, because this and other well done tracks outside the 'manipulative corporate formulas' ought to be played all the time. Beth Orton should be far more known globally than she is, and I hope my little share here helps others to discover her brilliance. 









Lyrics

You walked into my house last night
I couldn't help but notice
A light that was long gone, still burning strong
You were sitting, your fingers like fuses
Your eyes were cinnamon

You said you stand for every known abuse
That was ever threatened to anyone but you
And why should I know better by now
When I'm old enough not to?

While every line speaks the language of love
It never held the meaning I was thinking of
And I can't decide over right or wrong
I guess sometimes you need the place where you belong

Some may sing the wrong words to the wrong melody
It's little things like this that matter to me
Others feel that you should stand
For every known abuse to hand
And all the things that they could never see

You said you stood for every known abuse
That was ever promised to anyone like you
Don't you wish you knew better by now
When you're old enough not to?

When every line speaks the language of love
And never held the meaning I was thinking of
And I can't decide over right or wrong
You left the feeling that I just do not belong
(Do not belong, do not belong, do not belong, do not belong)
(Do not belong, do not belong, do not belong, do not belong-)

One drink too many and a joke gone too far
I see a face drive like a stolen car
Gets harder to hide when you're hitching a ride
Harder to hide what you really saw

Oh yeah, you stand for every known abuse
That I've ever seen my way through
Don't I wish I knew better by now?
Well, I think I'm starting to

When every line speaks the language of love
And never held the meaning I was thinking of
And I've lost the line between right or wrong
I just want to find the place where I belong

Why should you know better by now
When you're old enough not to?
I wish I knew better by now
When I'm old enough not to

~~~







Disclaimer: All photo, music, lyrics, video, and artwork copyrights belong to their respective owners.
Photos, videos, and lyrics used for reference and informational purposes.

I'm not being paid by them to write this. I'm not a journalist or anything. I just love music.





 


(Posted on 19th July 2024, backdated to 7th June 2024)