10 June, 2024

Song Solstice - Summer 2024 - Day 10 - Imogen Heap



Day 10 - Imogen Heap




And on to Day 10 we go into the first ever installment of the Song Solstice series, Summer 2024! Still musically hanging out in the lands of the UK, I shall be bringing forth to you a great track by musician, Imogen Heap. (FYI: It's not that one song that was sampled in that one song by that one artist.) Read more to find out what it is!


Imogen Heap is another artist I learned about through my friends on that old Tori Amos forum I used to hang out in some years back (read a little about it in the Day 9 post). Being the apparently incredibly moronic dork that I am, I initially thought Imogen Heap was a band because I had never heard the name Imogen before * facepalm *, but I quickly learned better. (It's okay. You can laugh at me. Lol) I don't remember what the first song I heard from her was, but it was just before or right around the era of Speak For Yourself, the album in which today's track, “Daylight Robbery”, is from.




I had read somewhere that Imogen (or Immi, as fans affectionately call her) had been asked by a security camera company to create a song for them to use in an ad campaign, and this resulted in a song she felt was too good to give them. She declined to do the song for them, kept the one she wrote, and we were blessed with it via the aforementioned album. Of course, I now cannot find that piece I read for the life of me, so I can't verify it. Whether or not this is the case, the song does mention CCTV as it paints the picture of Immi riding around on a bicycle in London, taking in all that's around her as she goes by.

Austin City Limits Live at The Moody Theater, Austin TX | Credit: @2019 Jim Chapin Photography


The song has layers and layers of synth, guitars, and effects of all kinds, pulling you into the electricity and rush she feels as she cruises around, awash in the neverending story of the city that's always so welcoming to her. I love being surrounded inside the sonic wall of sound Imogen creates as her voices and words dance around me, especially while wearing headphones. It's honestly exhilarating and gets me right here... * gestures to her heart * ...every time. I hope you dig it, too.









Lyrics

Don't mind me, just cruising by the girl with the balloon Good, it looks like we're the only ones around Caught on CCTV, heading towards the city lights Winking diamonds at me arms stretched out now
Ha-ooo It gets me everytime Ha-ooo It gets me everytime
Happiness and silhouettes revolving in the deep water indigo
It's high tide (Night sky) Pleasure moment. thinking big, thinking positive and itching to get on with it It's all stops out
Excess is the new moderation Get dressed up to the power of ten Raise glasses on repeat
and again, again, again again, again, again, again, again
Ha-ooo It gets me everytime Ha-ooo It gets me everytime
Oh, wade in the sonic joy Pleasure the wave and synchronize Sway in the sonic joy
Ha-ooo It gets me everytime Ha-ooo It gets me everytime
Everytime It gets me right here Everytime It gets me right here

~~~





Disclaimer: All photo, music, lyrics, video, and artwork copyrights belong to their respective owners.
Photos, videos, and lyrics used for reference and informational purposes.

I'm not being paid by them to write this. I'm not a journalist or anything. I just love music.





(Posted on 21st July 2025, backdated to 10th June 2024)