12 June, 2024

Song Solstice - Summer 2024 - Day 12 - Damn Yankees




Day 12 - Damn Yankees




Surprised? There is a world of music I grew up with that some music snobs might roll their eyes at, but I don't see a point in hiding that musical side of myself to please anyone else. (I will feature my faves from those days at some point in the future.) Whatever you may feel about this particular genre of music (or where you fall politically, let's be honest here), I hope you give today's Song Solstice track by Damn Yankees a chance. Read more to find out why!

[Before I get into it, I must make an important note: Whatever issue you or even myself may have with an artist I choose for any reason, please understand that I choose to focus on the art first. If this is a problem for you, feel free to move on to a different song or away from my blog altogether. It's your choice and I respect that.]
~*~

Growing up I heard a lot of rock music in our home. From Journey and Styx to Pat Benatar and Joan Jett and more in my earliest days, to the artists on MTV and the radio as I grew up, rock music has always been a default and strong aspect of my musical DNA. Although many genres comprise who I am musically, rock is in my blood, thus, with this fact in mind, it's no surprise at all that today's feature track is “Come Again” by Damn Yankees.


Released on 7" vinyl and cassette as official singles, and on CD as label promos.
The only one with real cover art was the cassette single shown above.



By the time I heard “Come Again” for the first time via a video on MTV, I was already a fan of Tommy Shaw and the aforementioned Styx as well as Jack Blades and Night Ranger. I didn't care about Ted Nugent at that point nor was I familiar with drummer Michael Cartellone, so the selling point for me with Damn Yankees at the outset of their collaboration was Shaw and Blades. I loved the harmonies in the second single, their hit “High Enough”, but it was the third single that did it for me. That first listen just knocked me out and it still does every time I hear it.


“Come Again” opens with a wonderful acoustic guitar (which threads through the song) and it doesn't take long until those fantastic harmonies, flanked by lovely strings, to come in, and I tell you... The voices of Jack and Tommy together is vocal heaven for me. Seriously. They go so perfectly together they just take me away. *chefs kiss* Lyrically, the song is about the surprise of finding love on the road and the feelings of leaving and coming back to them. Musically this is illustrated perfectly as the song moves from the acoustic to a bluesier electric verse that surges into a straight-on rock chorus in the most perfect way to me. And all the rocking guitar breaks... I can't help but get swept up in it, singing along and rocking out simultaneously. It's just so damn good!


Live back in the day. | Credit: Jim Steinfeldt/Michael Ochs Archives, Getty Images


I know a chunk of my music friends aren't really into stuff like this, and that's okay. I just know that “Come Again” is a great encapsulation of what I love about good, classic style rock and roll.  The guitars, the powerhouse vocals and drums, the lyrics... I will always have these things as part of me, and nothing can ever change that. I hope this song helps you to appreciate this realm of rock, and this side of me, a little more.






Album Version (my preferred version)




Official Video (Single Version)
[The guitar instrumentals are cut down a little bit.]




Lyrics


I was a loner cruisin’ with the wind

I wasn't looking when you pulled me in

I had to leave you, like I always did

You knew damn well I'd come again


Now I'm falling, where I've never been

My resistance is wearing thin

Somewhere in the distance

Like a long lost friend

Woah woah, yeah…

Lord here I come again


It's been so long since I've seen you girl

Swear I've been around the world

Every room is an empty space

In the darkness I see your face

Woah woah woah, Ohh woah woah woah

ooh woah woah woah


When I finally get my hands on you

Tell you what I'm gonna do

Lay you down strip you bare

Make love to you 'til the morning comes around


I wasn't looking when you pulled me in

Woah  Yeah

Lord here I come again


Come again, come again, I say lord


[Lots and lots of guitar driven instrumental]


I wasn't looking when you pulled me in

Woah, yeah

Lord here I come again


Woah woah woah

Ooh woah woah woah

Ooh Woah woah woah

Ooh woah woah woah

Oh yeah


I wasn't looking when you pulled me in

Woah, yeah

Lord here I come again


~~~






Disclaimer: All photo, music, lyrics, video, and artwork copyrights belong to their respective owners.
Photos, videos, and lyrics used for reference and informational purposes.

I'm not being paid by them to write this. I'm not a journalist or anything. I just love music.






(Posted 21st July 2024, backdated to 12th June 2024)