11 June, 2024

Song Solstice - Summer 2024 - Day 11 - No Doubt

 


Day 11 - No Doubt






Here we are on Day 11 of the Summer Song Solstice, 2024. Today's feature is one of my favorite tracks by No Doubt from arguably the most polarizing album in their catalog. Read on to find out more about this fab track.


Some folks seeing and reading this right now may be surprised that I enjoy No Doubt, but, when you look into it and find that my favorite album of theirs is the fan dividing Return of Saturn, it may not be so surprising. The term 'Return of Saturn' references the amount of time—30 years—that it takes for Saturn to orbit the earth, and vocalist/songwriter Gwen Stefani was facing 30 at the time of the writings. While the album has these themes, it also has the heavy theme of her pre-marriage relationship with Gavin Rossdale of the band Bush. (Bush's The Science of Things is honestly a companion to this album as the relationship weaves throughout it as well, even including Gwen on backing vocals for a song or two.) Today's track, “Artificial Sweetener”, bridges those themes.




It's honestly a great straight-on rock track to me, easily becoming a harder track live without any of the keyboards and high-end studio production. I feel like this is one of the crown jewels of the album, continuing the honest and confessional lyrics throughout that I greatly appreciate. The band gets to rock out with Adrian Young slamming those drums and cymbals hard on the chorus while Tony Kanal lays a thick bassline and Tom DuMont hammers the guitar home. I really love Gwen's vocals on this track and on the entire album, really, even on the songs I'm not that fussed on. On “Sweetener”, she just puts it all in, the verses pulling the more unsure and somewhat innocent side of her in perfectly while on the chorus voices that emotional turmoil of confusion and the 'how did I get here?' feelings the song explores. For me, it's so very good and easily in my all time Top 3 No Doubt tracks.


First performance in 9 years - Coachella 2024 | Credit: Watchara Phomicinda via The Press-Enterprise


Although I've loved this song since the album came out (I nabbed the Target stores exclusive version with the bonus track “Leftovers” on the week of release), the depth of the introspection and emotional power of “Artificial Sweetener” didn't really fully hit me until after I turned 30 myself despite having an empathic understanding of it. The push and pull of inner self, finding yourself in behavioural and emotional realms you're not used to nor expected of yourself, is incredibly relatable in a myriad of ways for me. I think that's why this song has become closer for me over the years, and will stay close for years to come. I hope you get a lot out of it, too.









Lyrics



Oh, yes I'm guilty

for leasing myself out

Not ready to go up for sale

Can't seem to give it up

Stubborn, so selfish...

I'm showing off the worst in me


The return of Saturn

Assessing my life

Second guessing...


I'm full of artificial sweetener

My heart's been deceitful

It's all artificial sweetener

I'm faking 'I love you's'

You're forcing me to


You really deserve love

I want to love you

but I can't seem to find myself

My wilting effort

Our progress report

I'm only sure that I'm not sure


I shudder to be honest

Who's behind it all now?

Who's the author?


I'm full of artificial sweetener

My heart's been deceitful

It's all artificial sweetener

I'm faking 'I love you's'

You're forcing me to


Re-read, re-write, re-do, undo

I'm stuck on this page

I was born two weeks late

is that why I hesitate?

I'm on the fence

Push me off it

I want to be on your side now

and keep a promise


I'm full of artificial sweetener

My heart's been deceitful

It's all artificial sweetener

My heart's been deceitful

I'm faking 'I love you's'

You're forcing me to


I'm faking 'I love you's'
You're forcing me to
I'm faking 'I love you's'
You're forcing me to
I'm faking 'I love you's'
You're forcing me to

~~~






Disclaimer: All photo, music, lyrics, video, and artwork copyrights belong to their respective owners.
Photos, videos, and lyrics used for reference and informational purposes.

I'm not being paid by them to write this. I'm not a journalist or anything. I just love music.







(Posted on 21st July 2024, backdated to 11th June 2024)